Monday, January 6, 2014

In Memory of Doris.

What a week, what a week, what a mighty fine week. :)
Hey y'all! I'm hoping this email finds you in high spirits, warm places, and with happy hearts. :)
It's been a good (albeit challenging) week and I'm grateful for it.

Monday- Typical P-day activities, we had dinner with the Singers. I LOVE THEM. They're so nice to us and they're so funny and happy. We got a call from Desirae that her baby was in the hospital (newborn, 3 weeks) and she was not doing so well with it all so we went over to her house with the elders and they gave her a blessing, and then she asked us to take care of her dog, so we agreed. This is kind of where the craziness of the week begins.

Tuesday- Okay this was actually one of the weirdest days of my mission so far. We went to take care of Desirae's dog and then we did studies. We went to the baptism of a little girl in our ward and they asked us to do a presentation, so we showed the restoration video.. except it got abruptly ended so Sister Freeman and I booked it up to the front and bore our testimonies. It was funny. We went to lunch then went to check on people.. including Doris, our rum-cake eatin', fuzzy-slipper-wearin', Judge-Judy-watchin' 93 year old investigator. When we showed up, her son in law walked up to the car and let us know that Doris had passed away. Also- someone had seen her obituary in the newspaper and broken into her house and stolen her silver. Sigh. So sad. But yeah. So I got permission from the AP's to call Sister Leavitt and Sister Clark (which was really weird) and I let them know that Doris had passed away. That was really sad. After that whole thing, we went to dinner at the Emery's. It was an awesome dinner. We played games with them and they had a less active member there and it was really fun. I just love Norman. :)

Wednesday- Okay, so maybe this was the weirdest day of my mission so far. We went and took care of Desirae's dog, then we talked with President Walkenhorst and were given permission to go up to the city for Doris's funeral. We got a hold of Sister Leavitt and Sister Clark and arranged meeting up with them, and after studies, we headed to the city. We met up with Sister Leavitt and Sister Clark (it was so weird being with my first field companions again) and their companions went on splits while Sister Freeman, Clark, Leavitt and I went to Doris's funeral. Oh my heavens. The preacher at her funeral kept calling her the wrong name. He kept calling her Dorothy instead of Doris and it was so sad. :( But after the funeral her son in law told us that she had a special place where she would put books she actually read, and the Book of Mormon was in the pile. So that was happy. :) We were just preparing her for the spirit world, that's all. We headed back to Norman and had dinner with a nice family named the Humphrey's. It was freezing cold, but we roasted marshmallows and that was fun. After dinner we took care of the dog and then went and did some tracting. A dog named Porkchop got really excited to see my companion and went to the bathroom all over her feet.. Poor Sister Freeman.

Thursday- Doctor's appointment followed by taking care of the dog. We came back and did studies, then two RM's from the mission came to visit Sister Freeman, and took us out to lunch at Chipotle. So that was really fun. :) After that we took them on some visits and then they dropped us off at our apartment. We went to the neighborhood of our dinner appointment and knocked about 60 doors in the area before dinner. it was really fun. I think tracting is one of my favorite parts of being a missionary. :) After that we had dinner with the Zimmerman's. I love them so much. Man alive. After dinner we taught a "practice lesson" to their non-member daughter and it went really well. I related repentance to being a turtle trudging through peanut butter. During the process it can feel like you're a turtle trudging through peanut butter, but after you finish, you're like a turtle buttered with Crisco, going down an inclined pan. :) Sister Freeman loves my analogies, hahaha.

Friday- District meeting, district lunch, exchanges. I went to Noble (again) with Sister Allen! It was fun. :) We met with some folks and then went to dinner with a sister from their ward. She took us to a place called Kendall's for dinner. It was pretty good.. but afterwards I felt pretty crummy. My companion did too, so we went back to the apartment and we were both pretty sick for the rest of the night. I wish there was more to say about Friday.. but it was mainly spent being sick.

Saturday- I was still a little sick (so was Sister Allen) so we took it easy in the morning. We did studies, ate lunch (what we could, anyway) and then did our exchange report. After that we went and visited Sister Pam (one of my favorite sisters in Noble) before we went and exchanged back. I love exchanges, but it's always relieving to be back with your own companion in your own area. :) We went home and Sister Zimmerman picked us up to take us to a lesson with the Jingozians. They've been sick all week so we haven't been able to meet with them. We gave them quick spiritual upliftment and then after the lesson we went and Sister Freeman got a blessing. We were dropped off at our apartment again and Sister Freeman was feeling pretty sick, so I made her rest and I did language study until dinner. We had dinner with Sister Oropeza and poor Sister Freeman was a zombie (she got a nasty cold) so I had to do most of the talking. It was a good dinner though. After dinner I got approved to drive us home (I'm not supposed to drive because I'm a visa-waiter) and Sister Freeman went right to bed.

Sunday- I loved it. It was a cold night (I gave my extra blanket to SisFree) so I didn't sleep too much, but I woke up feeling fine. :) Church was good. We taught the lesson in Gospel Principles on the final judgement. After church we had dinner with the DeLange family. They're really nice and they really like Sister Freeman a lot because they have a lot of ties from her family to theirs, so that was neat. We had a quick lesson with Annie and Jared and then we went back home so Sister Freeman could sleep. It was an overall good day. :)

Well folks, I gotta get going. But I want to leave you with a final thought: Something I've been working on understanding more is faith. People always say "have the faith to move mountains" and I've always been like, "You can't move a mountain. It's a mountain." But the more I think about it, the more I realize that having faith to move mountains isn't about making an entire mountain move at once. It's about having the faith to persevere and move the mountain in smaller steps. 

So, that being said- Have the faith to move mountains, even if it's one stone at a time.

I love y'all a ton! Take care:)

Sister Sofia Larson
Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
But one day-
Brazil, Rio De Janeiro


Email dated January 6, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment